You’ve probably seen commercials before with people spilling red wine all over their mattress or carpet. Red wine can quickly permeate the carpet fibers, which means time is a critical factor in avoiding a permanent stain.
Spills happen, so it’s important to be prepared. Here are some tips from our carpet cleaning company in Newport, OR to help you effectively remove red wine stains from a carpet.
- Soak up the wine as much as possible: Before you begin applying any cleaners or liquids to the area, your first step should be to blot up the wine as thoroughly as possible. Use a paper towel and lightly blot the area. Do not rub or press the stain into the carpet—this will make the stain set faster and can potentially cause irreversible damage to the fabric. Instead, focus on getting the excess liquid out of the way so your cleaning solution of choice can properly do its job.
- Neutralize the stain: Use either club soda or white wine and pour it on top of the spill or stain. White wine neutralizes the red wine, preventing it from soaking further into the carpet. Club soda does the same, if you do not have any white wine on hand. It can help to practice stain removal on a small, inconspicuous area of the carpet to ensure you know exactly what you’re doing when pressed for time in a stain removal situation.
- Soak up the area: After the white wine or club soda has effectively neutralized the spilled red wine, you can blot it up (again, just blot—don’t press or wipe) using a clean paper towel. Absorb as much of the liquid as you can with the paper towel before proceeding to the next step.
- Apply your cleaning solution to the area: Create a mixture of a teaspoon of carpet shampoo with a cup of hydrogen peroxide. Next, dip a sponge into the mixture, and blot at the stained area as you previously did with your paper towel. Blot with the stain removal mixture around the area until the stain has been removed. Again, avoid pressing or rubbing the stain so you do not inadvertently push the stain farther into the fibers of the carpet.
- Dry up the area: Once you have removed the stain, continue to blot the area with a clean paper towel until you have fully removed the liquid. Let the area dry, and it should be stain free. Once the area is completely dry, use a vacuum to run over the area and reset the carpet pile.
This is the best method to use if you have a sudden red wine spill at home. But if you’d rather not clean up the spill yourself, or if you have a stain that proves especially stubborn and reluctant to leave, you might require additional help. In that case, seek carpet cleaning services in Newport, OR from Paradise Carpet Cleaners Inc. We have over two decades of experience and look forward to serving you.
Categorised in: Stain Removal
This post was written by admin