Area rugs serve several purposes. They warm up hard flooring, can add color and pattern to a room and even work well to create separate areas in your home’s living spaces. As life goes on inside your house, you will notice your area rugs being subjected to stains and collecting debris—do you know how to clean an area rug? It’s important that you identify your rug’s material before using any cleaning solutions on it, as different rug materials have their own cleaning methods. Clean your rug the wrong way and you’ll shorten its lifespan.
All brand-new rugs come into your home looking clean and vibrant, but time will make cleaning them a must. To keep your area rugs looking their best, follow these tips for rug maintenance and area rug cleaning in Newport, OR.
If you want your area rug to last a long time, then it’s important that you follow a regular rug care routine. The size, material and construction of the rug all determine area rug cleaning and care. In general, most rugs will benefit from the following care routine:
- Vacuum large area rugs: The best way to maintain a large area rug is to vacuum it regularly, just as you would wall-to-wall carpeting. This is the most important step you can take to ensure your area rug stays clean. Own a reversible rug? Vacuum both sides! Vacuuming sucks up dirt, grit and grime that can lead to premature wear and tear—especially if the mentioned debris gets ground into rug fibers.
- Shake small area rugs: Area rugs that are small enough can be taken outside for a shake and beating to remove dirt, grit and other debris, but be mindful about where you shake it out. For instance, avoid shaking rugs over the side of the balcony of an upper floor apartment or too close to your neighbor’s windows.
- Brush out pet fur: Unless you have a vacuum specifically designed to pull up pet hair, you may need to use a brush on your rug. Take a stiff brush and brush in the direction of the nap of your rug. Follow up with a few passes with the vacuum.
- Turn rugs annually: Sunlight and foot traffic can take a toll on rugs. Plan on turning area rugs once or twice a year to allow them to wear more evenly.
- Follow manufacturer cleaning instructions: Always check with the rug manufacturer for cleaning instructions before using any cleaning products. Do a spot test on an inconspicuous area of the rug to see if discoloration occurs, and wait until the test spot dries completely before applying the solution everywhere else.
- Don’t clean too much: While vacuuming at least once a week helps prolong the life of your rugs, you don’t want to deep clean them too often. Over-cleaning area rugs with cleaning solutions can wear down the fibers and cause colors to fade.
If you need professional area rug cleaning in Newport, OR, don’t hesitate to contact the team at Paradise Carpet Cleaners Inc. Call to schedule an appointment today!
Categorised in: Area Rug Cleaning
This post was written by Writer