How to Properly Care for Your Area Rug
Area rugs are a great way to protect your floors, dress up your space and make your home feel cozy. However, area rugs need regular cleaning and maintenance in Newport, OR, just like full-room carpeting.
Taking care of your area rugs will help you extend the life of your rug as well as the floor underneath it, not to mention keep the air quality in your home a lot healthier. Here are our best tips on how to care for your own area rug:
- Get regular cleanings: The best thing you can do for your area rug is get a professional cleaning every year or so—unless you have pets, smoke inside the house or have bad allergies, in which case you should schedule your professional cleanings more often. Unlike DIY home rug cleaning solutions, which can damage your rug, professionals are trained to know exactly how to clean a rug and restore it to its natural color, texture and beauty.
- Spot clean: When you spill things on your rug, make sure you spot clean immediately. Blot the spill with clean cloths, then follow rug cleaning tips for your specific carpet type. Follow the instructions exactly, and if they don’t entirely remove the stain, schedule your professional cleaning a little earlier in the year—it’s the best way to avoid permanent damage.
- Rotate your rug to even out the wear: No matter how heavy the foot traffic is inside the home, rotate your rug quarterly to even out the wear and tear. Otherwise, you’ll end up with threadbare or dirty spots that can’t be fixed and cleaned. This simple area rug maintenance step in Newport, OR is also a good way to prevent your rug from fading in distinct spots.
- Vacuum weekly: Vacuuming at least once a week helps get rid of dirt, dust and allergens that bury themselves deep in your rug’s pile. It’s not as effective as a professional cleaning, but it helps keep up with regular maintenance so your professional cleaning will be more effective. Remember to vacuum both sides of the rug for maximum efficacy.
- Keep heavy furniture away from your rug: Heavy furniture can damage your rug, whether by causing dents or actually tearing the fibers. If you can’t avoid it, use furniture coasters to distribute the weight more evenly.
- Get a rug pad: Rug pads are a great way to muffle sound, cushion your rug and prevent slipping.
Keeping up with cleaning your area rug in Newport, OR could mean that it lasts for years, if not decades. You’ll also enjoy the improved air quality in your home, since area rugs and carpeting are notorious for worsening allergies. Once a year is usually all the average household needs, although you might have reasons for cleaning them a little more often. One thing is for sure: once you’ve had a professional cleaning, you’ll see what a difference they can make.
For professional carpet, area rug and upholstery cleaning, get in touch with Paradise Carpet Cleaners Inc. to schedule an appointment today.
Categorised in: Area Rug Cleaning
This post was written by Writer