Most people stay on top of carpet cleaning by vacuuming regularly, but there are some spills and messes that require deeper cleaning. When liquids seep into a carpet, they may reach the carpet underlay, causing more extensive staining and leading to other problems, including mold and mildew development and the production of strong carpet odor. With that in mind, it’s important to know more about cleaning carpet underlay so you can keep your carpet in the best condition possible.
Tips for cleaning your carpet underlay
Cleaning your carpet underlay can make a big difference in the way your carpet looks, how long it lasts and how it smells, so it’s worth it to take the time for this project. If you’ve never cleaned your carpet padding before, you might be unsure of where to start. The good news is that there are a few straightforward steps to follow when cleaning your carpet underlay:
- Start by removing the carpet: The first step in cleaning your carpet padding is to remove the carpet itself. Pulling the carpet back is the only way to access the underlay and make it possible to achieve a deep clean. Before removing the carpet, take the time to clean it thoroughly so the underlay doesn’t get dirty when you put the carpet back down again.
- Vacuum the underlay: Next, vacuum the underlay to remove debris and dirt. Vacuum the entire underlay as thoroughly as possible. Skipping this step can leave you with a muddy mess while you attempt to wash the padding, so it’s worth it to take the time to vacuum it completely.
- Spot clean the underlay: It’s usually not necessary to apply a cleaning solution to the entire underlay when cleaning it. Instead, spot clean using a bucket filled with a bleach solution and a rag. Identify spots where there are stains or odors and apply the bleach with the rag to clean the padding and remove unpleasant smells.
- Allow time for the underlay to dry: One of the most important parts of cleaning carpet padding is allowing enough time for it to dry completely. Covering up the underlay too quickly after cleaning can lead to a damp environment under the carpet that promotes the development of mold and mildew. Set up fans and dehumidifiers to speed up the drying process, and plan to wait at least overnight before the underlay is dried completely.
- Enlist the help of a professional: If all these steps seem daunting to you, it might be best to hire a professional for carpet cleaning. Professionals provide deep carpet cleaning without any of the hassle to get your carpet looking like new.
Professional carpet cleaning
At Paradise Carpet Cleaners Inc., we know how difficult cleaning carpet underlay can be, and our team has the expertise necessary to provide the most thorough cleaning services available for carpets and padding of all kinds. Whether you’re trying to get rid of a stubborn stain or you simply want to refresh your carpets and get them looking like new, our team is here to help. Find out more about our services and request a quote by giving us a call today.
Categorised in: Carpet Cleaning
This post was written by Writer