How to Get Mold Out of Your Carpet
Coastal climates provide the perfect conditions for mold and mildew to develop, and plenty of homeowners who live in coastal areas have to deal with mold issues in their homes. No matter how hard homeowners try to keep mold at bay, it’s still possible to have problems with mold growth in carpets. Because of all the problems that can be caused by mold growing in carpet, including bad odors, damaged fibers and health risks, it’s important to address this problem as proactively as possible. Keep reading for some tips to help you get mold out of the carpet in your home.
Tips for cleaning carpet mold
Mold can be very stubborn, so it’s not easy to get rid of mold that’s growing in carpeting. For the best chance at success, follow some of these tips and tricks for cleaning carpet mold:
- Start by ventilating the area: Mold can cause serious respiratory irritation, and prolonged exposure can lead to various health problems, so it’s important to make sure the area where you’re working on removing mold is well ventilated. Open a window or a door, set up a fan and wear gloves and eye protection to minimize any irritation caused by exposure to mold in the carpet.
- Lift the carpet if possible: Mold growth in carpets usually extends well below the surface, so it’s best to lift the carpet while cleaning it if you can. Once you’ve lifted the carpet, inspect the back of the carpet to check on the extent of the mold growth. If you notice that there seems to be a very extensive mold problem, it’s probably best to have your carpet replaced rather than trying to clean it.
- Use a dry brush to scrub away spores: Containing mold growth is key in making sure it doesn’t spread to other areas of your home. Use a stiff, dry brush to scrub away mold spores on the surface of the carpet. Brush the spores into a dust pan and dispose of them before moving on to the next step of the cleaning process.
- Apply antifungal spray: Once you’ve removed mold spores, apply an antifungal spray generously to the area. Allow it to sit for about an hour, then blot up the excess with a rag. Let it dry overnight and don’t walk on the treated area until it has dried completely. Repeat this process with the antifungal treatment for the best results.
- Consider professional cleaning: The best way to get mold out of carpet is to hire a professional who knows how to get the job done. Not only is DIY cleaning time-consuming, it also tends to be less effective than hiring a professional. The experts have the tools, training and experience to get rid of mold from carpets effectively and restore them to like-new condition.
Professional carpet cleaning
At Paradise Carpet Cleaners Inc., we are experts at cleaning carpet mold. No matter what kind of mold problem you’re dealing with in your carpet, our team is here to help get rid of the issue once and for all. Call us today to schedule an appointment with our professional cleaning team.
Categorised in: Carpet Cleaning
This post was written by Writer