Carpet is an excellent flooring option for a number of reasons. If it has one big downside, though, it’s that water can ruin it. Unlike tile or vinyl, you can’t just mop up a flooded carpet—you’ll need to hire a professional to either thoroughly clean or remove your water-damaged carpet in Newport, OR.
Whether the carpet needs to be completely removed depends on a few different factors. Continue reading to learn more about deciding whether to replace or clean your flooded carpet:
- Amount of water: The first thing to consider is how much water got on your carpet. The more water that’s soaked into the carpet, carpet pad and subflooring, the harder it will be for a pro to dry and clean the carpet. It can be hard for a homeowner to tell if the amount of water is significant enough to warrant replacement, but your carpet cleaner will know what to do.
- Timeframe: The length of time the water sat on your carpet is the second factor to consider here. As you can imagine, the longer the water sits, the worse. In fact, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) says the cleaning process should begin no more than 48 hours after the water damage. Otherwise, you should cut your losses and buy a new carpet.
- Water source: All water sources aren’t equal, and it’s something you’ll need to consider when deciding between cleaning or replacing your carpet. If the water damage is the result of toilet backflow, floodwater or sewage-contaminated water, don’t even think about trying to clean it—get rid of that carpet right away. On the other hand, damage resulting from potable water might not necessitate replacement.
- Age and condition: Your carpet’s previous condition is also something to consider in terms of replacement or flooded carpet cleaning in Newport, OR. Carpeting that was old and outdated before the flood might not even be worth trying to save. Instead, consider replacing it with new carpeting. Not only will your new carpet look great, but it might be cheaper than hiring someone to clean it.
Reasons to act fast
Waiting too long to schedule flooded carpet cleaning in Newport, OR is a grave mistake. Here are a few reasons you’ll need to call a professional to tackle your damaged carpet right away:
- Health concerns: Mold and mildew growth typically follows water damage, especially if the water sits under your carpeting for a while. All of that mold can be a serious health hazard, especially for those with pre-existing respiratory conditions. Act quickly to clean or replace your carpeting to avoid any health troubles.
- Worsening damage: Water doesn’t just damage the carpeting itself—it seeps down into the flooring and subflooring, where it can cause significant rotting. Calling a carpet cleaning expert as soon as you notice the damage is the best thing you can do in this situation. A professional will dry the area or remove the carpeting to ensure there’s no rotting or other long-term damage.
Water damage? Be sure to call our pros
There are several companies in town who can help with your water-damaged carpet in Newport, OR, but Paradise Carpet Cleaners Inc. is the best in the business. We guarantee your home will look, feel and smell as good as new after we’re finished working on your carpet. Plus, we provide emergency services because water damage must be addressed as soon as possible. Reach out to learn more!
Categorised in: Carpet Damage Restoration
This post was written by Writer